"Through our actions we will try to live as Jesus lived."
(School Mission Statement 2016)
Welcome to St Gildas' Catholic Junior School, the school is steeped in history and has educated thousands of children over many years.
In 1915, the Sisters of St. Gildas’ established their convent and school in “Crouch Hill House”, a substantial Georgian building situated in large secluded grounds on Crouch Hill, bordered by areas of woodland and close to the Parish Church of St. Peter-in-Chains.
On 12th April 1915, St. Gildas’ Convent School, an all-age private school opened its doors to the first of several generations of pupils.
Between 1968 and 1970 developments took place, which established St. Peter-in-Chains Infant School in Elm Grove as the Parish Infant School and the rebuilding of St.Gildas’ School as a Voluntary Aided Junior School on the site of the original convent was undertaken.
In 1989 the school transferred from the trusteeship of the Sisters of St. Gildas’ to the Diocese of Westminster. However, the traditional close links between the school and the Parish of St. Peter-in-Chains have been maintained.
Over the years, the school has flourished, changing and adapting to circumstances of the time and is now a thriving two-form entry Junior School with 220 children on roll, providing a Catholic Education for boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 11.
Following an outstanding Ofsted Inspection Report in October 2000, and the School’s performance in National tests, St. Gildas’ School was identified in the Chief Inspector of Schools Annual Report as a particularly successful school. In September 2002 St. Gildas’ was awarded Beacon Status by the Department for Education and Skills. The project involved networking with other schools and developing community links, which widened the opportunities offered to our children and enhanced the professional development of our staff.
In it's most recent Ofsted inspection, under a more demanding framework, the school was judged as 'good' with 'outstanding' behaviour and safety. (Feb 2015)
St. Peter-in-Chains Infant School remains the main feeder school, but all applications for admission to St. Gildas’ School are given consideration according to the Governors’ Admissions Policy.
Visits to the school are most welcome, please contact the school office.
A copy of our school prospectus can be found below...